Largest Moon in Solar syestem

Ever wondered which is the largest moon in solar system. Ah, its quite large. Our moon is small and there are many interesting moons in our solar system. So here is its detail

Ganymede the largest satellite 

Ganymede is largest natural satellite of the solar system even it is the largest satellite than many planets for example Mercury and Pluto, and also three-quarters the size of Mars.

  Size in Miles and KM

In miles, its mean radius is about 1,635 miles and about 2,631.2 km. It has low density.

  Surface of Ganymede

There are two natural surfaces of Ganymede, both of which have been unchanged for billions of years. 40% of its area is darker which is highly cratered and remaining 60% area is marked by grooved terrains. The length of these grooves are very big, many grooves are over 700 meters (2,000 feet) in height and run for thousand miles across its surface.

Temperature at Ganymede

The temperature at Ganymede’s surface is about minus   171 degrees Fahrenheit to minus   297 F, and night temperature drops to -193 C recorded in 1996, Scientists also found the evidence of the thin oxygen atmosphere in this satellite using Hubble Space Telescope but it is very thin which does not make survival possible.

 Discovery of Ganymede

Galileo Galilei discovered this largest natural satellite of the solar system on January 7, 1610. This was the first discovery of any Moon orbiting around the planet other than earth along with three other Jovian moons. The discovery was the solid evidence that planets orbit the sun, instead of our solar system revolving around the Earth.

Important Facts you didn’t know: –

 

* This largest satellite was named after Ganymede, a Trojan prince of Greek mythology.

* The only satellite in solar system that has a magnetosphere.

* Some scientists say that this moon could harbor life.

* It cannot be seen with naked eyes.

* Ganymede is 664, 718 far away from the planet Jupiter.

* Pioneer 10 was the first mission to explore Ganymede up close. Later mission included Voyager mission, Galileo and New Horizons.

   Future planning for Ganymede 

The  European spacecraft  Agency introduced a plan named it  JUICE ( Jupiter ICy moon explorer ) that would launch from Earth in 2022  at Jupiter in 2030.  

Facebook Comments